Wednesday, June 15, 2011

MSCC- June 2011

Today marks my first blog post for the Martha Stewart Cupcake Club (MSCC). I have to say, either I did something horribly wrong, or I am just all around disappointed.

First, we were to make the Father's Day Tee Time Cupcake recipe, decorated as a golf green for Father's Day. I chose to make mine, instead, in a soccer-themed wrapper and decorate it with green sugar as "grass" for my soccer-referee dad.

I measured the ingredients exactly as the recipe book instructed, baked them for the time it suggested, and voila: a dry, pasty, crumbly cupcake. Disappointment number 1.

The cupcake was to be topped with Swiss Meringue Buttercream - sounds complicated, right? And compared to the buttercream and other frostings I typically make, it was. It involved a double boiler, lots of egg whites, etc. The recipe called for a pinch of salt.... well, I do blame this problem on myself... the icing turned out SALTY! It was horrible. Disappointment number 2.

My original intent in making these cupcakes was to decorate them in a soccer theme with a cupcake pick of a soccer ball on top. It ended up not working out, so they're really boring. But honestly, since the cupcakes turned out so poorly and with salty icing, I'm glad the effort to make the soccer ball pick wasn't wasted! Disappointment number 3.

So, Martha, I'm a little bummed about my first cupcake experience with your recipe book. I am positive there are plenty of other recipes that will be better, but this will not be an earmarked page in my book.

Here are a few pics of the cupcake.... despite the poor quality photos, it doesn't look as bad as it is in person. I seriously think I might be able to break a glass window if I threw this cupcake through it!





You can find other MSCC member's cupcakes here. I hope they had better luck than I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment